(1934-35and 1936-1937, 1938-1943)
- The longest serving viceroy of India.
- First general elections were held in 1937.Formation of Congress ministry.
Resignation of the Congress ministries after the outbreak of the World War II.
- Subhas Chandra Bose resigned from Congress membership and formed the Forward
Block in 1939.Escape of Bose from India and organization of Indian National
- In 1934 India Government Bill was introduced in the Parliament and on 2nd
August 1935 passed by the British parliament and on 4th August 1935 got royal
- In June 1937, A Abbott and S.H Wood submit their report on technical
education in India.
- In Oct 1937, Gandhiji formulated Wardha Educational Scheme.
- In August 1940 Congress rejected August offer.
- Individual Civil Disobedience Movement started in 1940.
- In 1942 –Cripps Mission arrived in India offering Dominion Status to India
and setting up of a Constituent Assembly and in
- April 1942 C.Rajagopalachari
formula was proposed.
- In August 1942 Congress session started in Bombay and on 11 August the Quit
India Movement started.
- Divide and Quit slogan at the Karachi Session (1944) of the Muslim league.